IIBI Seminar Series
The IIBI seminar meets during the Fall and Spring semesters on Thursdays from 2:15 to 3:15 pm, except for the occasional visiting speaker or thesis defense. Seminars, unless otherwise noted, will be held in the 70-seat conference room located at 1459 Pappajohn Biomedical Discovery Building.
- 5/5/2016 - "Research Computing at Iowa," presented by Ben Rogers, Director, University of Iowa ITS - Research Services.
- 5/5/2016 - "Research Computing at Iowa," presented by Ben Rogers, Director, University of Iowa ITS - Research Services.
- 4/27/2016 - "Comprehensive Assessment and Characterization of Pulmonary Acinar Morphometry using Multi-Resolution Micro X-Ray Computed Tomography," PhD Thesis defense presented by Abhilash Srikumar Kizhakke Puliyakote, Department of Radiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. 3:30 pm, Franken Conference Room, 3567 JCP.
- 4/20/2016 - "Pushing the boundaries: Feature extraction from the lung improves pulmonary nodule classification," PhD thesis defense presented by Samantha K.N. Dilger, PhD candidate, Department of Radiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. 9:00 am, 1117 MERF.
- 4/14/2016 - No seminar due to ISBI 2016 meeting
4/7/2016 - IIBI-PBI forum Part 3 discussionSeminar CANCELLED
- 4/5/2016 - IIBI-PBI forum Part 2 discussion, 4:30 - 5:30 p.m., room 6300 PBDB (note time and location)
- 4/1/2016 - "An automated tissue classification pipeline for magnetic resonance images of infant brains using age-specific atlases and level set segmentation," MS thesis defense presented by Andrew Metzger, Department of Psychiatry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- 3/31/2016 - IIBI-PBI forum Part 1
- 3/25/2016 - "Constrained Reconstruction in MRI: Novel translational applications in clinical neuro-imaging, and speech science," presented by Sajan Goud Lingala, PhD, Post-doctoral Research Associate, Magnetic Resonance Engineering Laboratory (MREL), Electrical Engineering at the University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles.
- 3/24/201 - "Estimation of Papilledema Severity Using Spectral-Domain Optical Coherence Tomography," PhD Thesis defense presented by Ju-Kai Wang, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- 3/23/2016 - "Efficient Optimization for Labeling Problems with Prior Information: Applications to Natural and Medical Images," PhD thesis defense presented by Junjie Bai, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- 2/25/2016 - "Computational Imaging Methods for Emerging Bio-Imaging Methods," presented by Mark A. Anastasio, Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Radiology and Radiation Oncology, Washington University in St. Louis, School of Engineering and Applied Science.
- 2/18/2016 - "Comprehensive serial study of dynamic remodeling and atherosclerotic coronary arteries using IVUS," SPIE practice talk presented by Zhi Chen, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- 2/18/2016 - "Automated tissue classification of pediatric brains from magnetic resonance images using age-specific atlases," SPIE practice talk presented by Andrew Metzger, Department of Radiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- 2/18/2016 - "A semiautomatic framework of measuring pulmonary arterial metrics at anatomic airway locations using CT imaging," SPIE practice talk presented by Dakai Jin, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- 2/11/2016 - "Tissue Classification of Large-scale Multi-site MR Data Using Fuzzy k-Nearest Neighbor Method," SPIE practice talk presented by Ali Ghayoor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- 2/11/2016 - "Comparative study of multimodal intra-subject image registration methods on a publicly available database," SPIE practice talk presented by Ali Ghayoor and Mohammad Saleh-Miri, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- 2/11/2016 - "A Multimodal Machine-Learning Graph-Based Approach for Segmenting Glaucomatous Optic nerve Head Structures from SD-OCT Volumes and Fundus Photographs," PhD thesis defense presented by Mohammad Saleh-Miri, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- 1/25/2016 - "Longitudinal characterization of procine cancer models," PhD comprehensive exam presented by Emily Hammond, Department of Radiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- 9/3/2015 - "Lung Image Registration and Analysis," presented by Gary Christensen, MS, DSc, Professor, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. This will be a joint IIBI - ECE grad seminar will be held from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. in 3505 Seamans Center.
- 9/10/2015 - 5th Annual Geoffrey McLennan Visiting Lectureship in Pulmonary Disease and Biomedical Imaging, 12:00 - 1:00 p.m., Medical Alumni Auditorium, E331-GH. "New Pathways of Inflammatory Injury Leading to Ubiquitim-Based Small Molecule Discovery," presented by Rama Mallampalli, MD, UPMC Endowed Professor and Vice Chair for Research; Chief, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine; Director, Acute Lung Injury Center for Excellence, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh.
- 9/10/2015 - "Just Enough Interaction (JEI) techniques for semi-automated analysis of Knee MRI: Data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative," and "Longitudinal 4D Cartilage Segmentation of Knee MRI: Data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative," will be presented by Satyananda Kashyap, PhD candidate, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa.
- 9/17/2015 - No seminar
- 9/24/2015 - "Multiple Surface Segmentation Using Truncated Convex Priors," presented by Abhay Shah
- 10/1/2015 - MICCAI practice talks given by Sarah Gerard and Mohammed Miri-Saleh/Ali Gayoor
- 10/8/2015 - No seminar - MICCAI conference
- 10/19/2015 - "The SURE-LET Methodology for Image Denoising," presented by Thierry Blu, Chinese University of Hong Kong..
- 10/29/2015 - "Intra-operative Methods for computer Assisted Fracture Reduction," presented by Andrew Kern, Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Iowa.
- 11/5/2015 - GIT workshop, presented by Adam Harding, Application Programmer/Analyst, University of Iowa.
- 11/9/2015 - GIT workshop, 1:30 - 3:00 pm, IMU Michigan Room, presented by Hans Johnson, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa.
- 11/12/2015 - "Advances in rotating shield brachytherapy treatment planning and delivery system development," presented by Xiaodong Wu, Depts. of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Radiation Oncology, and Ryan Flynn, Dept. of Radiation Oncology, University of Iowa.
- 11/19/2015 -
- 11/26/2015 - No seminar, Thanksgiving break
- 12/3/2015 - Dan Thedens
- 12/10/2015 - Anubha Gupta
- 1/22/15 - "Beowulf Clusters: From Research Curiosities to Exascale," presented by Dan Reed, Vice President for Research and Economic Development at the University of Iowa - 1:00 - 2:15 p.m. in 2520D UCC. Further details are available here: http://hpc.uiowa.edu/recent-news/beowulf-clusters-research-curiosity-exascale . HPC operations team members will be available after the event if you wish to ask questions or provide feedback about queuing policy, two factor authentication, or other HPC related items.
- 1/29/15 - "Algorithms Design Using Spectral Graph Theory," joint IIBI-Electrical & Computer Engineering Graduate Seminar presented by Prof. Richard Peng, PhD, of MIT. This semiminar will be held from 3:30 - 4:20 p.m. in room 3505 Seamans Center.
- 2/5/15 - "High resolution approaches to neuronal connectivity: the technical, theoretical and clinical relevance of inner ear connection analysis," presented by Bernd Fritzsch PhD, DEO of the Department of Biology, Director of the Center on Aging and Director of the Aging Mind and Brain Initiative, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Iowa. https://www.biology.uiowa.edu/labs/fritzsch/
- 2/12/15 - SPIE practice talks by Jason Agne and Ling Zhang
- 2/19/15 - SPIE practice talks by Ipek Oguz and Ling Zhang
- 2/26/15 - SPIE conference, no seminar
- 3/12/15 - No Seminar
- 3/19/15 - Spring break, no seminar
- 3/26/15 - Samantha Dilger, University of Iowa
- 4/2/15 - No Seminar
- 4/8/15 - Krishna Iyer thesis defense
- 4/16/15 - College of Engineering Research Day
- 4/23/15 - - “Novel Use of Video and Image Analysis in a Video Compression System," MS thesis defense by David Stobaugh.
- 4/30/15 - Steve Mitchell, Componica
- 5/7/15 - ARVO CONFERENCE, NO SEMINAR
- 9/5/14 - "Toward an interdisciplinary Analysis Framework for Cartilage: Formulations, Experiments and Examples," David M. Pierce, PhD, Asst. Professor, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- 9/10/14 - "Prediction of Treatment Response from Retinal OCT in Patients with Exudative Age-Related Macular Degeneration," Hrvoje Bogunovic, Postdoctoral Research Scholar, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Kelch Board Room, 1289 CBRB.
- 9/12/14 - "The development of image science for medical diagnosis," Michael F. Insana, new Editor-in-Chief of IEEE TMI, and Professor of Engineering, Departments of Bioengineering and ECE, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 11 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Kelch Board Room, 1289 CBRB.
- 9/18/14 - "Personalized Medicine, Historical and Ethical Considerations," Jacob Sznajder, MD, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 12:00 - 1:00 p.m., Medicul Alumni Auditorium, E331-GH.
- 9/26/14 - "LOGISMOS-B: Layered Optimal Graph Image Segmentation of Multiple Objects and Surfaces for the Brain," Ipek Oguz, PhD, Asst. Research Scientist/Engineer, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 10/2/14 - "Relationships of retinal structure and Humphrey 24-2 visual field thresholds in patients with glaucoma," Hrvoje Bogunovic, Postdoctoral Research Scholar, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 10/9/14 - No seminar
- 10/16/14 - "Iowa Institute for Biomedical Imaging - Overview of research capabilities and collaborative opportunities," presented by Milan Sonka, PhD, Director, Iowa Institute for Biomedical Imaging from 9:30-10:00 a.m. "Translational Imaging Across Fields and Species," presented by Vincent Magnotta, PhD, Director of MR Research Facility from 10:00-10:15 a.m.; and "Changing Medicine, Changes Lives® in a Changing Healthcare Landscape,” presented by Jean Robillard, MD, Vice President for Medical Affairs' from 10:30-11:00 a.m.
- 10/23/14 - GE 7T Lecture Series, Gary Gold, 12:00 - 1:30 p.m.
- 10/29-30/14 - "Higher-order and non-submodular segmentation functionals: Entropy, Color, Consistency, Curvature, Convexity, etc.," presented by Yuri Boykov, PhD, Associate Professor of Computer Science, and Lena Gorelick, PhD, Research Scientist, University of Western Ontario, Canada.10/31/14 - "Dry AMD: Challenges and perspectives from imaging," presented by Ursula Schmidt-Erfurth, Professor and Chair, Department of Ophthalmology, University Eye Hospital, Vienna, Austria.
- 11/6/14 - "Non-invasive diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension with contrast-enhanced computed tomography," presented by Michael Pienn, PhD student, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Lung Vascular Research, Graz, Austria.
- 11/14/14 (Friday) - "Pre-clinical and clinical imaging with optical coherence tomography," presented by Brett Bouma, PhD, Professor of Dermatology and Health Sciences and Technology at Harvard Medical School, and Associate Physicist in the Wellman Center for Photomedicine at Massachusetts General Hospital.
- 11/18/14 - Slicer Wokshop, Hardin Library for Health Sciences, Info Commons West.
- 11/20/14- "Transmural differences of coronary branches and collateral vessels assessed with 3D cryomicrotome imaging," presented by Maria Siebes, PhD, Associate Professor, Dept. of Biomedical Engineering and Physics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands. This seminar is presented in collaboration with Abboud Cardiovascular Center. Location: Urmila Sahai Auditorium, 2117 MERF.
- 11/27/14 - No seminar - Thanksgiving break
- 12/4/14 - "Personalized Blood Flow Simulation from an Image-Derived Model: Changing the Paradigm for Cardiovascular Diagnostics," presented by Leo Grady, PhD, Vice President for Research and Development at HeartFlow.
- 12/11/14 - no seminar
- 12/18/14 - no seminar